Thursday, November 3, 2011

5-Minute Brussels Sprouts

After I finished up volunteering at the Caring Community Senior Center yesterday afternoon, I went to the Union Square Greenmarket.  I started volunteering on Wednesdays at lunchtime and help serve food in the kitchen.  The people there are wonderful and I'm really enjoying getting to know the seniors of Greenwich Village.

Anyway, my Wednesday ritual has become volunteering and then going to the Greenmarket to pick up food for the remainder of the work week.  Brussels sprouts are in season and the market was full of them, so I decided to pick up a pound.  They were on the small-medium size and were beautifully bright green.

When picking out Brussels, it's best when they are firm, bright green, compact, and somewhat heavy-feeling for their size.

I normally saute or roast them with balsamic vinegar, but I wanted to try and steam them this time around and luckily I stumbled upon the perfect recipe on the WholeFoods website.

I made some slight amendments to the measurements, as I normally always do with any recipe.  I washed and trimmed the Brussels sprouts and steamed them for 5 minutes.  As they were cooking, I combined and stirred up the juice from half a lemon, around 2 Tbsp olive oil, a few grinds of fresh black pepper, and one pressed garlic clove.  I didn't add any salt or the optional mustard and parsley.  When the Brussels sprouts were done, I threw them in the bowl with the dressing, tossed 'em around, and that was that.

My leftovers for tomorrow

Nutrition: Plenty of vitamins C, A, and K, as well as fiber, folate and potassium.


No comments:

Post a Comment