Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Butter+Sugar

Go pick up some corn on the cob at your local farm stand or farmers market today!  The season for corn on the cob usually ends around mid-September, so there aren't many days left to enjoy a summer favorite.

It's a great nutritious and delicious addition to your dinner.  The most common variety of corn I have found around the New York markets is the bi-color variety or "butter + sugar" which has always been my first choice.
Butter + Sugar
When I was growing up in Western Massachusetts, my family would pick up corn on the cob every day from our favorite farm stand, Golonka's, (http://www.golonkafarm.com/).  I think that place is still a local favorite, and I must say, I have never found a better ear of corn.

The Union Square Farmers Market has plenty of stalls offering corn on the cob, and I have actually been pleasantly surprised.  Though they're no Golonka, they are the next best thing.

I like to cook all the ears at once in a large covered pot about 1/4 filled with water to a boil for steam.  Bring the water to a boil before adding the shucked corn ears.  The ears that go in first usually get covered with water and the ones on top are out of the water- it's okay, they will all come out great.  I find it's best to cook them for about 6 to 7 minutes- I like a little crunch.  And the best part is, there is no need to use any butter; just let the ears cool down a bit and chow down.

Nutritional benefits:
Vitamin B1 (Thiamin)
Folate
Dietary Fiber
Vitamin C
Phosphorus
Manganese
Vitamin B5
1 cup of corn is about 177 calories

No comments:

Post a Comment