Sunday, August 14, 2011

Peach Crisp

I've said it before, and I'll say it again: I love summer produce.


Peaches are overflowing at the farmers markets, so I picked up a some beauties and decided to make a peach crisp.

Preheat oven to 375 degrees.

Ingredients:
4-5 large fresh peaches
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1 cup sugar
3/4 cup flour
1/2 cup butter (one stick) not softened!

Slice up the peaches (I always use yellow, though, I'm sure the white peaches would be great too).
Spread them all out on the bottom of a 9" X 9" glass pan, or a similar dimension pan.


In bowl, combine the flour, sugar, nutmeg and cinnamon.  Mix 'em all up.
You could add a dash of salt if you want to as well.


Cut up the butter into small pieces; you should be able to handle it quite well since the butter is cold.  Add the cut up butter to the bowl, work it in a little bit, and ensure everything is mixed up evenly.


Crumble the mixture over the top of the peaches and scatter it all around.




Put in the oven for 45 minutes.




When you take it out, let it sit and set for a few minutes before serving.  Goes excellently with vanilla ice cream, or my personal favorite, fresh whipped cream.


I will say that it's best the first day you make it.  There is no way around it getting a bit soggy as it sits in the refrigerator.  If reheating leftovers the next day, I usually put it in the oven under the broiler for 5-10 mins so it can crisp back up, but watch out for the "crisp" burning.

No comments:

Post a Comment