Friday, June 8, 2012

Updates and Side Notes

• I finally made it down to DC for a visit last weekend and was able to dine at the new District Kitchen.  My old bosses, from when I was a bartender at Sonoma, opened it together.  I'm so happy for them!  And everything was tasty and beautiful.

• I've been running a lot lately.  Joined the NYRR last year and have found myself signing up for several races a month with my boyfriend.  I even completed my first half-marathon.  I've decided that the best after run snack is: chocolate milk.  It's got a little fat, protein, sugar, calcium, and antioxidants from the chocolate.

It even comes with a straw and is a perfect portion

• The Madison Square Park BBQ is tomorrow.  If I can weave my way through the crowds, I'll be sure to let you know how the $8 plates of BBQ are.  

• My mister bought me a meyer lemon tree that I've been eyeing for awhile at Plantworks.  We repotted it and I have it front and center in my window soaking up the rays.  Now I just need it to flower and give me cute little lemons for my ice waters.

More like a little lemon bush

• I decided that this is going to be a gin-kinda-summer.  I tried some new ones the other day and am loving all the choices.  I have always been partial to Hendrick's, but wow, there is some hefty competition out there.  Now I just need to find more hip bars that carry these artisan bottles.  Ransom's Old Tom Gin is especially cool, due to the herbal blend and golden-tinted color.  Add a splash of grapefruit juice and a splash of club soda and I think we have a winner.

Ransom's Small's Gin and Old Tom Gin

• My favorite restaurants in New York right now: ABC Kitchen, Spotted Pig, and the usual Porchetta.  Where I'm aching to try: Roberta's, Pure Food and Wine, and John Dory.


The Spotted Pig

• I got an internship (paid!) with the New York City Department of Health and Mental Hygiene.  I start on Monday as a Nutrition Policy Intern in the Chronic Disease Prevention division.  Wish me luck!

Happy June!
-alimegs



No comments:

Post a Comment